Blood Pressure Regulation and Causes of High Blood Pressure
How is Blood pressure regulated? What are the negative effects of hypertension (high blood pressure).
It is “simple” – anything that affects Cardiac Output and/or Peripheral resistance will also affect Blood pressure. Why? Because BP = CO * PR.
So we are looking at things like the Venous return, stroke volume, heart rate, sympathetic stimulation, parasympathetic stimulation, vasoconstriction and vasodilation. Those are factors that influence blood pressure significantly.
If any of those terms seem unclear to you, not to worry. You have the video above to help you navigate the beauty of the normal regulatory processes that these amazing bodies have, and also what happens when things don’t function the way they are supposed to.
You will also receive a little bit of info related to nutrition and how that can influence what’s going on in the awesome Cardiovascular system. Watch and Enjoy!
Resources For This Lecture
- Click Here to Download Handout (PDF)
- Click Here to Download Transcript (PDF) [unordered_list style=”star”]
- 00:00 Introduction
- 00:56 Making analogies with blood pressure.
- 03:20 Blood Pressure Defined
- 04:21 Measuring Blood Pressure and its Normal Values
- 06:55 Calculating Blood Pressure
- 07:29 Cardiac Output defined
- 07:52 Peripheral Resistance defined
- 08:23 Factors affecting blood pressure
- 09:07 Cardiac Output
- 09:38 Factors that increase cardiac output.
- 12:25 Factors that decrease cardiac output.
- 13:25 Peripheral Resistance
- 13:55 Factors that increase peripheral resistance.
- 15:14 Factors that decrease peripheral resistance.
- 16:57 Tracing blood flow
- 18:00 [Member Question] How can or does high blood pressure damage the body and the cardiovascular system?
- 20:07 [Member Question] What would a difference in blood pressure between the left and right arm indicate?
- 22:42 Why is hypertension bad?
- 23:34 Effects of High Blood Pressure on the Kidneys
- 24:34 Effects of Blood Pressure on the Brain
- 25:19 Effects of Blood Pressure on the Heart
- 26:21 Orthostatic or Postural Hypertension
- 29:43 Outro